Hi! My name is Jennifer McLeod. I live in Battle Creek, Michigan, also know as Cereal City, Home of Tony the Tiger.
Growing up, I always had a book in my hand. I loved to write and keep journals. I was also a troubled teenager (ok, I was trouble) and kept my mother busy. If my mother ever had a hair-thinning problem, it was because of me. My mom’s favorite thing to say to me was,
You have a big mouth. It’s going to get you into trouble someday.
Oh, wait, that was her second favorite thing to say to me. Her favorite saying was,
I hope when you grow up, you have a child just like you.
Damn parent curses. And, then, I had Keegan…
Why did I start blogging?
Hmm…let’s see. I tried blogging a few years ago but had no experience, whatsoever, with web design, content writing, text editors, or anything else involved. The fact that I blindly thought YouTube was for music videos didn’t help edumacate me much. Seriously, I had no clue about the internet, aside from Facebook, MySpace, and my email. My computer experience was mainly software usage. So, I scratched that idea, not to mention I worked full-time and had no time to invest in learning.
But, then I got hurt at work and lost my job (story for another day) and went on a year and a half medical leave (more wrong with me than just work injuries). What can I say? I got bored.
So, I joined HubPages and had been writing for a few months when I impulsively got involved in my then-neighbor’s legal battles by supporting him. I took up blogging to help his case but discovered, within a few months, that he was guilty and then some. So, I deleted my blog of support and started a new one. I faced much criticism and read more stories about myself on the internet that I felt like an amnesia victim learning about my horrid past (I was not the only blogger involved in the case, but bet your ass I was the one willing to report the real truth).
For every lie told, I fought back with the truth. In the Middle of Fire shed much light on the dirty deeds of my neighbor and his family. Over the last year, I went from supporting the defendant to becoming a prosecution witness for the assistant attorney general, a move that the defense team complained was a ‘sting operation’…lol. Needless to say, the defendant is now in prison and cannot molest anymore children. This case helped to create new laws in Michigan, as well.
I discovered I love to blog. I love the people I have met through online writing. What a great way to get things out…perfect pastime for someone like me, who has to be busy at all times.
More Interesting Facts about Me
- I am a fluent pianist. I also play bass guitar and woodwind instruments.
- I have more job skills than Donald Trump, I’m just not a millionaire.
- I have more dogs than I do kids, thanks to lousy pet owners in my neighborhood.
- I have more mice than I do dogs, although constant vermin control has them dwindling off.
- I was pregnant on every mile marker birthday: 16, 18, and 21.
- Oh yeah, did I tell you I was a teen mom? Just in case you didn’t catch it just now.
- I will never get divorced again, just as I will never get married again.
- I have lost 20 people I love to death from 2009 through now.
- I met and spent a little time with actress Eliza Dushku.
- I am the black sheep in my family.
- In the 7th grade, I was the regional and district spelling bee champion and was scheduled to compete at the state level (last stop before nationals in Washinton, D.C.). A near-fatal car accident (my mom was in critical condition) caused injuries that forced me into surgery the day of the state competition, so I was unable to participate.
- I was reunited with my daughter a year and a half ago, after giving her up for private adoption to the best family that could have ever graced this planet.
- I fall asleep faster than my dogs do. I get teased often by loved ones that I am talking one minute and snoring the next. Yes, I can sleep about anywhere, anytime. And, to top it off, I have been kicked out of people’s houses in the middle of the night for snoring too loudly.
- I bought my first house in 2012 and paid for it in cash.
- I have more guy friends than girl friends because there’s WAY LESS drama.
- I lived in a tent for three months (years ago).
- A trained victim’s advocate, but I am not working as one. I have a huge heart for sexual abuse victims, especially children, and wanted the training to be able to educate kids. I use my training to write articles in the field of sexual abuse and am the Grand Rapids Domestic Violence and Abuse Examiner.
If you made it this far, I want to explain The Teenager. John is my 3rd child, and because of circumstances we MIGHT talk about later on, he feels a bit displaced. He is also in law enforcement training and said to me, when he found out I was starting this blog, “I don’t want my name and pictures in your blog. I don’t want my future co-workers seeing this someday.” Buddy, name I can handle, but you’re screwed on the pictures. Because he is my son, and I love him, I compromised. But, I call him John, as that is his name, so he will be referenced to as The Teenager at all times, except when we are in dialogue.
Wow, that was a lot. I think I’m done now. See you on the inside!!