I received an email today from the Examiner, notifying me that my most recent news article has been promoted on their Twitter site. There are over 33,000 people following the Examiner at Twitter, so this was exciting news. My first promoted article, other than what has been appearing on Google News.
I just wish writing the story had been equally exciting.
After checking the weather at WWMT, I came across this story. A Central Michigan University student was kidnapped and raped by a man identified as Eric Ramsey, 30, from Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. The abduction happened on the CMU campus.
Ramsey, using the victim’s car, took the victim to a house and raped her, and afterwards, forced her back into her car with cans of gasoline. He informed the victim of his intentions to kill her.
In a panic, the victim jumped out of the car while it was still moving and fled to a nearby house, where the homeowner’s kids let her in. They locked the door and took refuge in the bathroom and called 911 for help.
Ramsey chased the victim to the house and was banging on the door to get in. He then retrieved the cans of gasoline, poured them on the house, and set it on fire. Fortunately, the homeowners came home and was able to put the fire out with minimal damage.
The suspect stole the victim’s car, again, and took police on a two-county chase, where he rammed state troopers, stole a sanitation truck, and rammed a county sheriff’s deputy. The deputy shot and killed Ramsey, putting an end to the nightmare.
To the brave young lady, who was able to escape her kidnapper and rapist before he took her life, you are a hero. This story serves as a reminder that it’s never too late to get help.
Every time I write about another sexual assault, it breaks my heart. Sexual abuse is nothing for anyone to have to endure, and the lifetime of consequences for a victim are horrendous. In children, it is even worse.
Remembering the CMU student, who fought back against her assailant…bravo!!
- CMU abduction: Students say incident was a shock, feel campus is safe (mlive.com)
- CMU abduction suspect Eric Ramsey used BB gun, police say (mlive.com)
- CMU abduction: Shepherd family who sheltered victim knew suspect (mlive.com)
- Woman At CMU Kidnapped But Escapes (fox17online.com)
- Isabella Co. family shelters CMU abduction victim until police arrive (minbcnews.com)
- Woman escapes after being abducted on CMU campus (minbcnews.com)
- Woman protected from rapist by boy, 14, with hunting knife after she leaps from car (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- CMU Abduction: Girl Runs To Home, Family Relives Horrific Experience (fox17online.com)
- Police: Woman Safe After Reported Abduction At CMU (detroit.cbslocal.com)