, ,

Seriously, Buddha? Go lay down! It’s not time to get up, yet!

Needless to say, I am up two hours earlier than I intended to be. The Teenager and Keegan are still home from school on winter break, so I have been staying up later at night to get work done to accommodate their bedtime hours. The Teenager and Keegan would stay up all night if I let them…lol…but, I don’t. It might be winter break for them, but I have to be able to function. If my 11-year old gets behind on sleep, everyone knows it.

Last night, the kids finally settled into bed around midnight. I made it until 2 a.m. and couldn’t withstand my constant yawning and teary-eyes from being so tired, so I called it a night. The last thing I did before I went to sleep was let the dogs out for the night.

Four of my dogs

Buddha, Sugar, Girlie-Girl from left to right, and Pookie, the little dog

The dogs are a story all their own. I have five dogs. In reality, only two of them are actually mine by ownership. The other three are rescue dogs. Adapting to owning multiple dogs has not been easy.

A little insight into me – I’ve been rescuing animals most of my adult life, mainly dogs, and there’s been a few humans, too (a different story for another day).

My Lucky

My road dog, Lucky, enjoying a hug

There’s my dog, Lucky, a Rott-mix. I’ve had him since he was seven weeks old, he’s 7 1/2 years old now. There’s Pookie, a little Yorkie with a crippled leg who played chicken with a car and lost. He was rescued from a family whose house was destroyed in the bad storm that took out much of Battle Creek a year and a half ago. Then, there’s Girlie-Girl. She’s almost one and is a mix of pit bull, bull mastiff, and black lab. There’s Sugar, a 10-year old dog that belongs to a homeless guy who’s trying to get his life back together. And, finally, there’s Buddha. He’s a pit bull bull and belonged to a family a couple blocks from my house. He got loose four different times in a week and kept finding his way to my house. After the fourth time, the owners didn’t want him back. Poor guy was emaciated and starving when I got him. I suspect he is around two years old.

It was Buddha who woke me up at 8:00 this morning. He has an interesting way of waking me up when he needs to go outside. He stands next to my bed and puts his paws next to me and just stands there staring at me. If that doesn’t do the trick, then he will put his paws on the other side of me and stand over me, two paws on each side of my body, and he will stay that way until I become tired of it and get up. If he’s desperate, he might nudge my face with his nose.

This morning, I woke up to the nudging of Buddha’s nose. Ugh…I tried to roll out of bed, but there were four dogs laying around me, pinning me underneath my blanket. Not a good place for a claustrophobic person to be, that’s for sure!

With that being said, it’s time to cook breakfast for my family. Brown sugar and cinnamon pancakes with bacon sounds good!